Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Confessions of a Guilt-aholic

Hello.  My name is Shelly and I'm a guilt-aholic.

Somewhere in my lifetime I've been given a double dose of guilt.  There are even different categories.

Wife guilt: Do I support my husband sufficiently?  No.  There's so much more I can be doing in our home to make it a haven, especially since the only other place he frequents is the fast-paced emergency room (as a nurse, not a patient, thank goodness).  I could sit here and think of the kitchen that needs a major scrubbing, the laundry that need to be folded and put away or the floors that need vacuuming, but then I'd begin to feel guilty about it and I'd have to stop writing to go take care of it.  So we'll just move on.

Mommy guilt: Oh, this one is so prevalent and overwhelming.  Do I do enough to show my kids that I love them?  Do I feed them healthy enough foods?  Do I teach them the best ways to live in the world but not be of the world?  Those answers are easy: Nope, nope, nope.  Honestly, I think even the most "perfect" Mommy could find things she wishes she could improve on.  I hear these incredible moms I know talk about lists of things they wish they could do better and I just sit there thinking, "If you struggle, what hope is there for me???" 

I was reminded about how ridiculous my Mommy guilt is yesterday.  We are no strangers to waiting rooms.  I hate those places.  But when you're waiting for your little child to be procedured (not a word, but you get it), you have to wait what seems to be an eternity.  The first time I had to sit in the waiting room to wait for Matt's procedure I didn't bring anything to do because as the perfect Mommy I should have been waiting on pins and needles at the edge of my chair thinking only of my little boy.  Let me tell you, that kind of pressure on your brain is enough to make you crack.  I had to learn that I was NOT a bad mom for wanting to distract myself from what was happening in the other room.  Just human.

It's that distraction that I need to learn again.  This time in reference to my Health guilt.  It is so easy to sit here and think about where I could be if I had stayed on my path of diet and exercise: prepping for a half marathon, prepping for a 10k (the Plan B if the 1/2 wasn't attainable), 30 lbs lighter, a trim body, strong muscles, fewer body aches, months of established habits. 

But I don't have those things.  I've been too on and off in my work outs and good eating habits.  So what do I do?  I sit think about things that I have no control over.  I'm on pins and needles on the edge of my seat thinking only of the time that I've lost and cannot get back.  I swim in the guilt of "what could've been." 

The problem is, there's no magical cure to get over that guilt.  It's a mental game.  And I can be plenty mental.  Life was rough, I'm feeling better, I can get back to the things I need to do, and work hard toward my goal again.  Instead of dwelling on the last several months of poor decisions, horrible eating, and loss of control, I need to think of the efforts I'm currently making. I ran 2 miles in 23 minutes yesterday while pushing a stroller.  Not the most impressive numbers, but I did it. 

I don't think I'll ever be cured of my Guilt.  But I can do my best to become a recovering Guilt-aholic everyday.  It's all part of my 4000 step recovery process.

4 comments:

colds1 said...

Um, 2 miles in 23 minutes with Millie in a stroller? Seriously? And you don't think that's a good number? Can I come kick you? (See - I can be supportive, ding dang it!)

Jeri Dawn said...

Way to go Shelly. You are awesome. Here is my two cents--whether you want it or not. (Get ready, and let me know if I need to apologize) I have noticed that you seem to be the all or nothing type. Either your obsessed or your totally off the band wagon. Is this way off? Consequently, your goals tend to be huge. A lot of times when I read your goals, they overwhelm me. And maybe that's just me and my fear of commitment or failure or being tied down to something that I may not feel like doing tomorrow. But, my point is that... Little steps are amazing things too. 2 miles is amazing. I remember when you couldn't run 2 miles. Pat yourself on the back when you exercise, whether it's for 10 minutes or 20 or 5. We can't do it all. And some days will be better than others. And, trust me, I understand the guilt...but positive thinking is just as good for you as exercise and eating right. Right? You really are amazing. You have been through a lot and you are pulling out and moving ahead and that alone deserves a pat on the back. If you fail today, then start over tomorrow. I will not regret those mint chocolate brownies. In fact I rather enjoyed them. But today I will eat healthier. Mostly, I just want you to know that I love you. I feel for you. I'm there with you on many accounts. And I am a firm believer that you are the mother you are supposed to be with the kids God meant you to have. You will be the best for them and they will be the best for you. Fat or skinny...we'll make it. I swear, we will.

Shelly said...

Thanks, Jeri Dawn, and you're absolutely right. I don't have much of a middle ground. Thus, my newest attempt. Find that middle ground. Let go of the guilt and realize that I'm working on it.

Thanks for the support!

Merinda Reeder said...

I think I'll embroider that on a pillow: "Fat or skinny... we'll make it. I swear, we will."
OK, I do not embroider.
If I did, the other side of the pillow would read: "It's all part of my 4000 step recovery process."