Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's your effort level?

I played racquetball today. I love that sport. Not only is it a fun sport and a good full body work-out, but it is incredibly therapeutic to slam a ball around a small room repeatedly.

I digress.


With Weight Watchers you earn "activity points" for the things you do throughout the day and for any exercise you do. As I went to enter my points for playing racquetball, the program asked me, "low effort or high effort?"

As much as I'd like to say that my game against Kevin was a high effort game, it really wasn't. I was only sweating a little bit and my muscles aren't screaming at me post-game and I only purposefully slid to try and get the ball (read: fell) once. I have certainly played much more vicious games. So as I took the 4 points instead of the high effort 9 (for reference, a McDonald's regular hamburger is 7 points), I was led to think about our weight loss efforts.

Is your journey to weight loss and/or good health low effort or high effort? Are you giving it your all? Does it occasionally cross your mind or is it a constant? Are you willing to sacrifice your body for the ball? Are you sweating? Are your muscles screaming at you?

I haven't jumped on the exercise bandwagon yet. I keep meaning to, but just haven't. So, other than a few choice dates with my husband, I am not actually sweating a lot in my weight loss journey. I do want to use exercise - my post-four-babies-body is gonna need it!

I guess what I'm admitting is that I'm low effort right now. It is working for me - I was down another pound this week (7 pounds in 6 weeks). But I wonder what high effort would get me? What could high effort get you?

Cindy

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Hopefully my high-er effort (because I always feel like I can do better) will take my tub o' butter heiny and sculpt it into a stick o butter heiny.

Does scrambling around your house cleaning it in preparation for your parents to stay a few nights count as high effort?