Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A recipe

I know, we're about goals. This isn't a food blog; but sometimes some new menu ideas stir us up a bit.
In response to Jeri Dawn's query, here's one idea that is easy and super tasty. This is Kelly's Healthy Stir Fry and serves about 4.

Kelly serves hers with brown rice since it's healthier than white. I should be as good.
This recipe bears substitutes and adaptations very well. Go with what you have on hand and what you like. If you love zucchini and not peppers, then add more zucchini and use less (or no) peppers.
While you can use baby carrots (or none at all) this is a recipe where the flavor of fully-grown carrots really does make a difference. It was this recipe that got me back into full carrots for other recipes, as well.
The beef bullion makes a nice flavor without the need for any more seasonings or sauces. Important for me, since I'm a soy sauce junkie on most stir fry.

Using a large skillet, cook 2 breasts of chicken, diced/cubed
Before it starts to stick or burn, add 1 cup water and 1 cube beef bullion
Add 3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced
Simmer for 5-8 minutes.
Add 1 sliced zucchini and 1 sliced yellow squash
In another minute, add 1 pepper, sliced. Red is pretty, but any color will do.
2 more minutes simmer, and you're ready to serve

Variations: onions, sliced water chestnuts, baby corn, mushrooms, celery, eggplant, etc.
If you like more liquid, make it with another cup of bullion.

3 comments:

colds1 said...

I love stir fry. I generally make it without the bullion but I season it with lemon pepper or some other seasoning that jumps out at me. I like it because I can put in at least some veggies that I know my boys will eat. Although, the frozen stir fry veggie work great in a pinch.

I'll have to give the beef bullion a try. Thanks! (I'm also fairly anti-baby carrot ... nothing compares to a real carrot and my boys eat them better too)

Shelly said...

I've never used bullion either. Interesting idea I'm thinking of posting a few recipes myself, and I think they are a good idea to share. I'll have to try this one!

Jeri Dawn said...

Thanks Mindy! I have actually been on a Zuchinni/Squash kick lately...so this recipe is absoultely perfect! Thanks for your response and for taking the time to post this recipe.