Saturday, January 8, 2011

Once-A-Month-Cooking


Do you do once-a-month-cooking?

I don't. But I want to.

It is also known as freezer cooking or batch cooking. The idea is to spend the majority of one day cooking and end up with enough meals to feed your family for a month. You freeze the assembled meals and usually just warm them up before eating.

I've done it a couple of times and it really was fantastic to not think about dinner ... just pull something out of the freezer and go. I did it last just before baby #4 and in less than 5 hours, I had 16 meals (and all the dishes) done.

There are lots of websites and books out there that explain and give menus and shopping lists. Most of the recipes I've done are comfort food ... soups, lasagna, enchiladas, pot pies. You know, all that yummy stuff that sticks to your hips.

I was very excited when one of the websites I frequent, Once A Month Mom, decided to do a diet menu! Everything is supposed to be lower in calories and better for you. I haven't tried any yet, but a few of them intrigued me. I especially love that they have a breakfast and lunch menu. I too often eat the same thing day after day. This could liven up my lunchtime and if I just have to pull it out of the freezer to eat it ... shoot, how can I go wrong?!

Each recipe on the diet menu lists the nutritional information, including Weight Watchers Points and PointsPlus. Sadly, the traditional menu doesn't have this already figured out for you - and there are some good looking recipes there too.

I'm thinking I might finally get serious about once-a-month-cooking. Now to find that one day in the month ...

1 comment:

Shelly said...

I saw that you had Liked that website on fb and thought I'd check it out. I forgot about that, though, and told Josh yesterday that I wish there was a website with healthier foods that you could easily bulk-buy for. I'm going to have to check it out again. Oh, to have one day of work instead of 30 every month. If only.....