Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More Menu Ideas

I've been wanting to join in on the bandwagon of meal plans and ideas.  But I have this ingrained notion that I'm not a good cook and have no originality. 

But I've been thinking about Jeri Dawn's request for menu options for a while now.  And thought I'd share my own two cents.

One of the biggest things I've been wanting lately is a longer-term monthly plan where I can buy things in bulk.  I started couponing and I can buy several of the same items, especially when they are on sale.  But I don't have the freezer space to do once a month cooking.  I need another strategy.

So, I found this cookbook by Biggest Loser.  I know.  I seem obsessed.  Maybe I am.  But it's a healthy obsession, pardon the pun.


There are certain things I want from my dinner. 

1.  I want it to taste good.
2.  I want it to be healthy.
3.  I want it simple enough for me to make.
4.  I want it to be cheap.

So maybe in conjunction with Menu Plan Monday, some of these recipes may come in handy.

I've been trying to use coupons to buy things while they are on sale.  So the other week I found 24 oz Prego sauce on sale for $1/each.  Boneless/skinless chicken breasts were on sale for $1.76/lb.  And Colgate toothpaste was free.  That has nothing to do with dinner, but it was a GREAT find.

Anyway, I do have enough freezer space for things like large amounts of chicken broken down into baggies and smaller portions from a larger meal.  So here are some of my favorite recipes from the book.  (I'm including the links of where I got these so I'm not infringing any copyright issues.)

Grilled Chicken Parmesan
Makes 4 servings4 (4-ounce) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Olive oil in a sprayer (not store-bought spray that contains propellant)
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup low-fat, low-sodium, low-sugar marinara sauce, or more to taste
6 tablespoons finely shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Lightly Mist both sides of the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until it is no longer pink inside and juices run clear. Transfer to a baking dish.
Heat the sauce on low in the microwave until warm. Top each breast with 2 tablespoons marinara sauce, followed by 1 1/2 tablespoons mozzarella, and 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan. Bake the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition at a Glance
Per serving: 169 calories, 29 g protein, 5 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat (less than 1 g saturated), 70 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 210 mg sodium

I use a George Foreman grill, so this recipe takes about 15 minutes to make.

Makes 8 servingsOlive oil spray
1 (14 1/2-ounce) box fiber-enriched ziti or penne rigate (I used Ronzoni Smart Taste)
1 (15-ounce) container fat-free ricotta cheese
2 large egg whites
8 ounces (4 cups) finely shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
3 1/2 cups low-fat, low-sodium, marinara sauce
2 tablespoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly mist a 13" x 9" x 2" ceramic or glass baking dish with the olive oil spray.
Cook the ziti according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
In a large mixing bowl, mix the ricotta, egg whites, and all but 1 cup of the mozzarella until well combined. Add the garlic powder and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the cooked pasta until well combined.
Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the prepared dish.
Add half of the pasta in an even layer over the sauce.
Layer the remaining pasta over the sauce. Spoon the remaining 1 1/2 cups sauce evenly over the top of the pasta, then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan over the top.
Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, or until the mozzarella is melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces or spoon among 8 bowls and serve.
Nutrition at a Glance
Per serving: 350 calories, 22 g protein, 57 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (3 g saturated), 20 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 429 mg sodium

New Favorite Meatballs
Olive oil spray
2 egg whites
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pound 96% lean ground beef

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a large nonstick baking sheet with the olive oil spray.

In a medium bowl, using a fork, mix together the egg whites, oats, and milk until well combined. Add the parsley, onion, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes and mix until combined. Mix in the beef until well combined.

Make 32 uniform meatballs, each about 11/4" diameter (use a cookie scoop or 2 tablespoons for ease). Roll the balls with your hands and arrange, not touching, on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.

Makes 4 (8-meatball) servings

Per serving: 194 calories, 26 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 5 g fat (2 g saturated), 60 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 252 mg sodium


You can also use the meatballs for Meatball Subs.  I've found that a single serving of the meatballs is pretty substantial, so we usually have plenty of leftovers.

And one our favorite recipes doesn't rely on the Prego I bought at an awesome price, but it's worth sharing:

Enchilada Chicken
4 (4-ounce) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 teaspoons salt-free Mexican or Southwestern seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
Olive oil spray
4 tablespoons enchilada sauce
2 ounces (1 cup) finely shredded Cabot 75 Percent Light Cheddar
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro

Season each chicken breast evenly on all sides with the seasoning. Place a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over high heat. When hot, lightly mist with the olive oil spray and add the chicken. Cook, turning once, for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or just until the chicken is golden brown on the outside.

Remove the pan from the heat and top each chicken breast with 1 tablespoon of the enchilada sauce, followed by one-fourth of the cheese and one-fourth of the cilantro. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 4 to 6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink inside and the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 162 calories, 31g protein, 1g carbohydrates, 3g fat (1g saturated), 71mg cholesterol, trace fiber, 230mg sodium
Again, I use my George Foreman and then transfer the chicken to an 8x8 dish to stick into the oven.  Takes about 15 minutes. 

And if you want some other ideas of what to do with your bought-in-bulk chicken there is:

Sweet and Sour Chicken Stir Fry

****Additional Side note: I made the Enchilada Chicken tonight and remembered that Josh and I like the green enchilada sauce more than the red, but try what you like.  Even the small can is more than one meals' worth, so I just freeze it and use it for the next time.

1 comment:

Jeri Dawn said...

Nice Recipes! I am excited to try them. And about being a bad cook...when Jason and I got married the man could ruin anything. It's like he had no logic when it came to cooking--or he chose not to. Anyway, 11 years later he is a gourmet cook (okay, almost) that inspires us to eat food from all over the world. Thanks for sharing!