Monday, January 10, 2011

Mens sano in corpore sano

I studied Latin in college. Just so you know.

Mens sano in copore sano is an oft quoted line from the Roman poet Juvenal. It is often quoted as "A healthy mind in a healthy body."

We live in a world of unknowns. Along we trod doing our best to be healthy and make good habits and then an unknown hits us. It could be something as obviously life-changing as unemployment or death. Or something that seems trivial, like contention with a friend or a child's fourth stinky diaper of the day. Whatever that unknown is, however trivial it seems, it can make a big impact on our healthy goals.

When our mind and heart are struggling, it is so much more difficult to focus on our health. For many of us, that's why we have the weight or health challenges we do ... our physical needs take a back seat. I am certainly no different. When my heart hurts, ice cream sounds way more appealing than a good run.

But maybe there IS something to Juvenal's word. Maybe it is easier to keep a healthy mind if our bodies are healthy. I've read all about those happy endorphins we are supposed to get when we exercise. I've experienced the calm that comes from a long walk. I've felt the soul healing benefits of slamming a racquetball ball into a wall over and over and over.

So my challenge for myself this week is "a healthy mind in a healthy body." When my nearly 4 year old plays deaf (selective hearing), instead of grabbing a handful of M&Ms, maybe I'll hop on my stationary bike for a couple of miles. When my baby is learning to fall asleep all by himself (again), maybe I'll do a few yoga poses rather than open the pantry. And, when I've been told what a mean mom I am (yet again), maybe I'll do a few jumping jacks (and mumble under my breath - I am still human).

Cindy

2 comments:

Shelly said...

I think you're a genius. If I try that, Abby will be completely to blame for my hot, smokin' body. And maybe I'll finally be able to stop yelling. Hmm.. I may do that this week too!

Jeri Dawn said...

Ha! I love all the new contributors to this blog, Shelly! And, I am assuming this post was by Cindy, and I love the idea. As for my goals...I am still considering just how dedicated I want to be at this point. I ate and ate and ate over the holidays and when my doctor said, "Your weight jumped" at my last appointment, let's just say I was not in the least bit surprised. But I was a bit disappointed in my lack of control. So, what to do about it? Well, I plan on running 3 miles Monday through Friday, no questions asked. And this morning I was thinking about no candy or desserts during the week. That was before the mint chocolate brownies that ended my lunch, though. So, right now, as in immediately, I think I will go give away some mint chocolate brownies! And as a side goal, I am rededicated to family scripture reading...daily.