Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Goal

I'm about to get personal again.

I need lots of friends to know about this goal.  I need lots of accountability.  And when I accomplish this goal, I'll need lots of praise.  I'll just throw that out there right now!

Fifteen years ago, my mom made me this dress.

At the time I thought it was fine.  Actually, I always liked the turquoise part.  I never liked the awful ivory jacket thing.  But my modesty (and distaste for my upper arms) required it.

That night wasn't all that great.  It was my Senior Cotillion.  I thought about telling the guy no.  He and I hadn't spoken in about year.  We had very little in common.  I wasn't really looking forward to it.  I might have told him no, too, except I'd already told one guy who asked me to the dance no.  That guy asked me with an "I Love You" balloon ... and I thought he was a bit creepy.  I couldn't say no to two guys!

So I went.  We danced MAYBE 3 songs.  I actually hid in the bathroom a lot just so I wouldn't have to dance with him.  Don't judge me.  He was a very nice guy, but that doesn't make a good date.

Anyway, that dress which my mom spent hours working on never got the chance to shine.  I loved the color, but the photographer didn't.  He hid me and my dress in this picture of a group of friends at that dance.  (I'm the floating head.)

I still wonder if it was the color or my size that he was hiding.  

So what's my goal?  I'm going to let that dress shine again!  It has been hanging in my closet for 15 years. I'm going to pull it out.  I'm going to put it on.  (I'm going to get a different jacket to cover my shoulders). 

Our church is having a Prom in a month.  I have friends who are going to make it silly and dress in 1980s garb and powder colored tuxes.  Ladies from church will be there in their Sunday Best.  Not me.  I'm going to wear MY prom dress.  After 15 years and 4 pregnancies, I'm going to wear my dress.

That's my goal.  I made a lady a church laugh when I told her about it a couple of weeks ago.  I told her that I had about 10 pounds to go before I got into my prom dress.  She told me that she would have to lose 30 and that's when I replied, "Well, there are advantages to having been fat in high school ... it's easier to get back into those prom dresses!"

Maybe there is some truth to that.  I wasn't super skinny then so I don't have to starve myself now, but it still feels like a worth-while goal.  It is one I'm going to accomplish.  I'm going to rock that dress!

And, on a personal note, I will not be hiding in the bathroom because my date and I have nothing to say to each other.  I'll be floating around the room in the arms of the man I love. 

6 comments:

Jeri Dawn said...

Holy Memories. I wish I had a prom dress to try on... Well, not right now, but later. Way to go Cindy. You can do it! Post us a pretty picture too!

Shelly said...

I love love love this! And I love love love that you made it public. You'll do it and you'll have a fantastic date! A better prom than you ever expected.

And I want pictures too!!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I love this post! I can't wait to see the new prom pics. What a great idea!

Merinda Reeder said...

For the first time in 15 years I'm looking at Senior Cotillion without remorse. I'm ok that I missed it. Finally.
Now about you... WAHOOOO.
you can totally do it. Enjoy this prom... makes me giddy just thinking about it. I wish I had a prom to go to; though I do have a fancy dinner in exactly 27 days. Good luck. Good exercise. Good fruit for snacks. I am excited to see how the next month goes.

Crisanne said...

I am thrilled that you and your dress are going to shine again! My Sr. Prom dress went to DI a while ago. Maybe I should shoot for fitting into my wedding dress. I know it's still hanging around in a closet at the parents! We want to see pictures of you and Kevin having a glorious time!

Carina said...

Wow! I didn't remember we all color coordinated so well. Your dress would have complimented Marci's. I am sorry he hid you. You are the most lovely head in the picture though. :) (PS my experience at this dance was kind of similar. It would be nice if the guys remember it differently and had good memories.)

I hope you meet your goal and float on cloud nine in your prom dress. Have you tried it on yet? I think we should all have a prom night with our husbands. How fun that would be. Well OK, maybe not, my dh is a little wild on the dance floor. Last dance we went to, I almost melted into a puddle so I could hide. Hee, hee, hee.

I am dreaming of the day I fit back into my wedding dress. I want to do a professional wedding shoot at the temple. We never got that. My Mom says she thinks I could fit it now, but I still have a ways to go. I think I will try it on when I have lost 15 more lbs, even though 25 more is what I need to reach the weight I was when I was married.