Monday, April 4, 2011

Baby Steps

One of my favorite movies is What About Bob?  Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfus are hilarious. 





Bob learns to take baby steps to approach life.  Do a little at a time, don't worry about the big picture.

This weekend I had a conversation with my mom and my sister about losing weight.  The three of us have each struggled with this since having babies. 

I was listening to my sister and mom compare notes.  My sister talked about a weight loss supplement she wanted to try and my mom became interested.  To them, this supplement was going to give them the jump start they needed to get started to lose weight. 

It occurred to me that there are lots of us out there that want that grand gesture, that jump start, to begin doing what is good for us.  My crutches are generally, "I'll start Monday/next week/next month/New Years." 

It's not until we can lose that mentality that we can truly begin to make long lasting changes in our lives.  Yes, my family members may find some success in miracle pills, but they will be hard pressed to have lasting results.  Losing weight and being healthy has no quick fix.  It takes time, effort, and focus. 

There is no Easy Button.


But, oh, could you imagine if there was?  No!  Bad Shelly!  We mustn't think this way.

Stick to the baby steps.  One day, one goal at a time. 

No comments: