Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Listening To Your Body

Several years ago a book came out called "French Women Don't Get Fat."  I haven't read the book, but I saw several interviews with the author and read several articles based on it.  I was totally intrigued. 

The idea is that if we are sensible and listen to our bodies, there is no need to diet or worry about our weight.  If we eat a chocolate pastry for breakfast, eat a vegetable-based lunch and/or take an extra walk.   Food isn't something to be denied or to feel guilty about.  We should satiate those desires sensibly and then make other wise choices. 

I've tried to keep this mindset as I've worked on my own own weight loss.  There are very few things I deny myself.  So, imagine my delight, when I read this article earlier this week.

The author lists 5 ways to keep weight management simple.  I laugh at that last word ... simple.  There is a major learning curve that some would not consider simple.  But I think she means there are no numbers to count or charts to follow.  You just listen to what your body needs and wants.  Simple.  Right?  Ha.

picture borrowed  from the aforementioned article
 Here are her five ways.  (I'll refer you to the article if you'd like more depth to each step)

1.  Eat what you want.  Don't make any food off limits.

2.  Let your stomach decide.  Listen to your body's hunger signals.

3.  Make feeding yourself a priority.  And try to eat at regular (the same) times each day.

4.  Get enough slumber.  Inadequate sleep is associated with higher weights.

5.  Follow your passions.  Being involved in something you love makes eating less attractive.

There you go.  I don't know if those are simple or not.  I think it will take a lot of practice to understand my body's hunger signals.  Just something else to think about along this journey I call weight loss.

No comments: