Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Last Night on the Biggest Loser

Here we are at Week 17 of the Biggest Loser already.  You can see the episode Here or below.



***SPOILER ALERT***

This week was Favorites Week, when favorite former contestants come to visit the Ranch.  If I'm remembering right, this became an official week just last season. 

Anyway, the contestants got to meet and do a workout with Ali Vincent, the first ever female Biggest Loser, and Sam Poueu, a fan favorite from a few seasons ago.  They all went to the gym and did a workout together.  Since it was the first week after being in New Zealand for so long, the contestants had some realizations hit.  First, they've come a long way since their first circuit workout 16 weeks previously.  And second, seeing the former contestants that have gone on and kept themselves in order even after their season ended seemed to put a little more fire in some bellies.  One of the remaining seven people will be this season's Biggest Loser.

The third favorite to visit was Tara Costa, aka the Machine!  The woman rarely lost a challenge during her season and she had some incredible people she competed against.  She should've won the show, but Helen won instead.  Helen, the woman who threw her own daughter under the bus, but that's just my humble opinion.

What did you think of Tara competing in the car pull challenge?  At first I wanted her to win because she's an amazing competitor, but it didn't take long until I was cheering for Rulon.  He never got on the Wheaties box?  After all the commotion of him beating the unbeatable Russian?  Crazy!  I wanted him to get that.  But Tara is, after all, a machine.

So we get to the weigh in. 

*Sigh*

During the last chance workout Rulon made some comments about being within 15 lbs of his goal weight and not being sad about leaving.  Also, he had made the comment about Sam bowing out gracefully when he was at his goal weight.  Wish I could remember those circumstances a little better.  Anyway, he got up on the scale, announced he was leaving the show for personal reasons, tossed around a few hugs and walked away.

And that was it.

Not even a "Where they are today" moment afterward.

What?

I highly doubt Rulon left because Tara beat him out of getting on the Wheaties box. Cara said she thought he was exhausted from always competing.  Maybe.  Josh and I were talking about it and I can't help but wonder if now that his physical is in order and his mental game may be exhausted, did he need to focus on the spiritual aspects again?  He just spent 4 months away from any spiritual elements he always had surrounding him.  There was a determination on Rulon's face as he left.  "Other things to take care of."  I'd like to think that his determination was to continue to better his life in every aspect and he couldn't do it there at the Ranch.  Of course, this is all just my own wondering.

Then the rest of the weigh in.  Irene, the touted Biggest Loser on campus, was the first woman to hit the 100 lb mark on campus.  However, she still fell below the yellow line.  Olivia and Hannah surprised everyone with great numbers and making the top two spots on the leaderboard.  Kaylee, on the other hand, gained weight (again) and went below the line with Irene.

Anyone else not really sad to see Kaylee go?  She's been yo-yoing for so long that it will be good to see some of the others make the final four.  Although, she was Austin's final ally and if he goes below the yellow line at all, he'll be gone.  And then I'll really be sad.

I wish Rulon the best in his journey. I hope he is able to get himself all together again.

***More on Rulon****

After I finished writing this I found this article from the Deseret News which contained this quote from Rulon:

"Once I reached my goal and started feeling like my old self, I felt compelled to return home and support my wife, Kamie, in the ongoing management of our personal and professional affairs. ... Another exciting outcome is that I am strongly considering a return to competitive wrestling."

Sounds like Rulon has a lot more he'd like to do than sit at a Ranch and try to win a quarter of a million dollars.  Go Rulon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I had the same thoughts about Rulon. I'm glad you dug a little deeper to find out more about his decision. As someone who has spent some time re-evaluating things, I'm glad to see his renewed commitment and determination. Thanks for this Shelly!

Merinda Reeder said...

Was it just me or did this episode move along quicker. "What? the weigh-in already?" The favorites made me want to go back and watch old seasons... I like Tara.
I was worried for Irene because she's my favorite and she's the threat, and because Kaylee is no threat at all. I haven't seen other seasons; but I like that [aside from Arthur] they haven't been openly focused on game play.

colds1 said...

Okay, I just typed up all my feelings and then blogger deleted them. Here is the summarized version:

This season is boring to me because the only people left to show us anything really fun at the finale are Austin and Irene (Jay could, but I don't like him).

I like some game play much, much more than this seasons whining about getting pregnant (when they already are at a weight that makes pregnancy totally possible - trust me, I know), about finishing something they started (um, they all want that), and sacrificing yourself for others even though you are the one who needs it more. Gag.

I wish they would have emphasized more that Kaylee's body just didn't want to lose more weight. Not every one CAN be that athletic build and be healthy. She is Tongan for Pete's sake!!! Even Ali from Season 5 has put back on pounds and she is the face of the Biggest Loser. She got down really far for her finale, but that isn't where she comfortably lives and is happy. I think the show/contestants get hung up on being "skinny" rather than healthy.

Rulon. I've met him. He's nothing special. He wouldn't have won because he wasn't going to get thin. He was going for his competition weight. Sorry, but I thought he was fat then. Muscle-y and strong, but not attractive. (Keep in mind, I married a swimmer).

There you go.

colds1 said...

This lady from Logan who is on one of the message boards I read knows what Rulon is up to. Her dad or someone is something in the fitness industry up there. Anyway, anytime someone puts Rulon down, she brings back up that he is up to something and it is great and admirable and if she leaks anything more she'll be shot. I would imagine it will come out around the finale time.