Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recommit

Do you make New Year's Resolutions? Goals for the upcoming year? Or even just think in your head wishes you hope for?

I do. I love making goals and resolutions are a big part of my life. But after a long month full of Utah inversions and lots of illness, it is easy to forget about those big plans.

I am still on my way in my weight loss journey. I moved very slowly in January, but I was still moving toward that goal weight. However, I do need to exercise more. I know this. I do. I had even gotten really good at doing pilates (my work-out of choice) regularly ... and then I got sick.

So I'm back on the couch. It is comfortable here. But I know that it won't do much to help me burn off that yummy birthday cupcake I had last night. It is time to recommit.

That's so easy to say. "I am going to exercise regularly and get strong and slim and healthy." But doing it isn't always as easy.

Then I read a blog this morning. It isn't one I follow very closely, but I landed there and these paragraphs jumped out at me:

Having a strong reason for doing what we do, helps us get through the times when we don’t feel like doing whatever that thing is. For example, some Sundays I don’t feel like going to church. Do I just stay at home and let my feelings dictate my actions? No. I get up and go because I know the value of being there. I want my children to learn the importance of worship and I believe God wants me and my family to meet with the saints each Sunday. So I go.

The same is true for exercise. Just working out because you think you should, won’t keep you going for long. Think about why it is important. Maybe heart disease runs in the family and you want to do what you can to avoid that. Perhaps you simply want more energy to serve your family each day. (A worthy reason to be sure!)

Whatever your reason for exercising, keep it in mind.

Wow. I don't have any problems going to church. It is ingrained in my being. Can I make exercise the same? Can I find that level of commitment for my health? It definitely gave me something to think about.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Hmmm... good points. Why do I do this to myself? I need a better reason than because it's good for me. After all, I don't eat fish even though it's good for me. Some good food for thought.

Merinda Reeder said...

Hmmmmm. I guess in a way it's a matter of priorities. When my physical fitness raises up the priority ladder to approach my religion, then I won't forget about it, put it off, or justify it away.

Strong reason would dictate priority. These are definitely things to consider. Interestingly enough, I have found a need to recommit to most every priority at one time or another, religion included.