Saturday, March 19, 2011

This Week on the Biggest Loser

In case you missed Tuesday's episode of Biggest Loser, click Here.  Or watch it below.



***SPOILER ALERT***

This week we saw a new/old twist.  Once before this season we've seen the possibility of no elimination if a certain weight goal was reached.  But this time, everyone was put on the same team: the Blue Team.  The total amount to beat: 64 lbs.

Anyone else kind of confused by this?  When I watch twists like this, I can't help but wonder about the motivation of the producers.  Was this challenge created to encourage unity and support within the house or was it to create tension and strengthen the animosity between Red and Black?

I would really hope that it's the first.  But the Red vs Black mentality still lingered.  I think everyone was guarded since no one ever knows what's going to happen next week. 

The cooking challenge was fun.  I thought it was good to mix up the couples teamed together.  But, again, I wondered if the motive was unity or fueling the rivalry.  Luckily, everyone was nice and helpful.  Really, throughout the week everyone was nice and helpful, but there was always that sense of them vs us.  Anyway, Curtis Stone and Lorena Garcia showed up as guest judges and voted Moses and Olivia as the winners with Baked Cod with Asparagus.  Click the link for that and the other recipes as well.

The challenge consisted of following and pulling ropes out of sand.  I thought it looked so fun.  Last week a challenge in the mud, this week one in the sand.  Makes me miss the good old days of Mud Olympics in high school and playing sand volleyball with drunk airmen at the military base family days.  What?  Not everyone did that one?  Well, it was fun.  The team had to complete the challenge within an hour and a half in order to gain a 5 lb advantage at the weigh in.  However, if even one person was left behind the finish line, the entire team would be given a 5 lb disadvantage.  Could they have come any closer to losing it?  They finished with 6 second to spare.  Holy cow.  So that brought the total weight to lose down to 59 lbs.

During the week we saw the trainers taking on the players they hadn't worked with yet.  Anyone else a bit annoyed with the whole attitude of "Jillian and Bob are the only good trainers"?  But, I did love seeing Bob take Rulon under his wing.  I do love Bob.  And to have him and Rulon have a chance to work together was fun to see.  And I loved watching Cara take on the girls.  I think it would be amazing to train with Cara.  I can't handle people touching my head.  It's something that I've come to learn and accept about myself.  So I can't imagine someone punching me there.  But the rest of it seems like it would be fun and I like kickboxing on the videos I have. 

And then the weigh in.  No one had huge numbers, but nearly everyone had a decent week.  I'd kill to lose 4 or 5 lbs in a week and have it not be a fluke.  But everyone was upset because they needed an average of 5 lbs per person and weren't quite getting there.  Rulon, Ken and Austin all struck a 7 lb loss a piece.  Finally it got to the smaller women.  Marci went up and pulled a 0.  No real surprise.  Earlier in the episode Dr H told Marci that she's at her ideal weight and now needs to learn to maintain.  But Kaylee hit a 2+.  She's swung from little weeks to big ones.  I'm glad the trainers want to help her learn balance.  Send some of that lesson my way, please.

In the end, the goal was not met.  And in true After School Special form, Marci graciously bowed out and sacrificed herself for the good of the "kids."  I really, really wish she had done it because she's reached her goal, though.  But, everyone was crying over her leaving.  I'm sure there's more to the story than what we know and see.  It's probably different when you spend 24/7 with the same people for weeks at a time.  But it just seemed to be the same martyr/parent thing yet again.  Maybe with Marci gone it will be easier for Moses to be a good example of how to be a loving, supportive parent.

So it's so long, Marci.  I do hope you're able to maintain your weight.  But I can't say I'll miss you.

2 comments:

Merinda Reeder said...

I loved the responsibility that B&J were putting on Austin. He's really growing on me as he shows more confidence. What you said about Marci... every sentence and every word... I totally agree. It's time for Ken & Moses to show the parenting.
And if they aren't enough role model, follow Justin.

colds1 said...

I've got nothing except ... what does everybody have with Curtis Stone? I can't imagine ever swooning over a cute guy like Hannah did. It made me embarrassed to be a girl!