Monday, August 30, 2010

Weekly Check In

It's Week 3 Day 1 of my Couch to 5k program. This morning I was joined by my sister Tara for my run. It wasn't bad. I was a little nervous to run more than 90 seconds at a time. My knees have been threatening to begin the overwhelming pain they gave me last year when I tried running. But I did pretty well. Tara did really well, especially since it was her first run in a while. We made it back and survived. If you can imagine that.

I kept to my goals this last week. I kept running like I was supposed to. I worked out twice during the week. And I kept my food journal. New challenge is to make sure I'm getting enough food because I've noticed that I'm starting to cut too much out. Sometimes finding that balance is tough. The good news: I lost another 3 lbs.


This week's goals: Continue running and keeping the food journal. But I think I need to step it up with a new goal. Something I don't think about all the time. (You don't know this because you're not sitting here next to me as I type this, but I had to stop and think about this for a minute.) I think I'll have to add the goal for personal scripture study. We do family scriptures, and I was doing really well with my personal scripture reading, but with my routine changes it got overlooked. So that's got to be put back into my day.


What are your goals? How did you do last week? Did you get your short term goal taken care of? What do you want to do this week?


I've got a suggested goal for anyone wanting to do the Bloggest Loser, which begins next Monday. Take this week to begin your new eating or exercising regimen. That way next week you can continue doing it (or tweak it to something that works better) and it may be easier to get the results you hope for. I think that was my downfall over the summer. I wanted to suddenly do a lot of things differently and demanded results that first week and just got bummed when I couldn't do it all. I lost steam and gained weight instead of losing it.


Anyway. How'd you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll go running with you!! I have a running program that I need to start but just haven't been able to find the motivation. Let me know. I can email it to you. It gets you running 3 miles in 10 weeks and then you add on after that. It would be fun to run with you!! :)

Kayleen said...

You need new/different shoes. Find a shoe store that only sells running/active shoes. Not a department store, or walmart. I have knee pain when my shoes are not what they are supposed to be. It really makes a difference.

Carina said...

I bought some New Balance shoes recently and saved $45 by buying them online. First I went to the store and found out what ones worked best for my feet, then we looked online for a better deal. Search for codes & several places to buy it from. Thought it might help. I know you have all of the money in the world to spend, but you might like a new outfit when you are too big for anything in your closet. ;)

I have been having some health problems, so working out has not been fun. Each time we have hiked or walked lately I have ended up feeling terrible. So I gained a lb this week, but that isn't too bad. I am just trying to see what in my diet needs to be adjusted so that I can feel good again. Like remembering to drink enough water, eating the right kinds of fiber, and meeting my good health guidelines. That is my goal this week.

You are doing Awesome Shelly!

Jeri Dawn said...

Aloha! I did manage to keep my goals from last week...I am officially in the 5 mile jogging range! Yesterday I went in my trail running shoes and I shouldn't have gone so far in them...but that's okay. I'll figure it all out.

Those darn knees! Where exactly does it hurt? Front? Outside? Inside? Stretching A LOT seemed to help me for a while. Our hospital has a guy that does running exams for $25. Basically he videos you running and then tells you what you need to change. But lately, talking to a few people, this is what I have learned for knee pain. When you run, try landing more on the front of your foot rather than your heel. That tendon in the back of your leg is supposed to be a shock absorber. Also, try taking shorter steps and keeping your cadence at around 180-185. This doesn't mean you need to go faster, just shorter, quicker steps. Try to find some music that is around 180 beats per minute and put it on your MP3 player.

Love ya!

colds1 said...

Water. I need more water. Goal for the week ... drink more water.

My goal last week was the food journal. I'd give myself about a 90% completion of that goal. Sundays are the hardest since I'm not home when I eat, but I'm also at church for several hours and not eating. The scale is starting to move a little faster, so something must be working!

jamck said...

I'm not a blog stalker - I landed here from your FB post. Jeri Dawn said "That tendon in the back of your leg is supposed to be a shock absorber." She did not mean it is supposed to compress when you land - like shocks on your car. It is supposed to stretch as your heel comes down (after the ball of your foot) and then it recoils as you push off slightly with your toes for the next step. Meaning that your legs absorb the shocks by stretching the tendons and muscles on impact, contrary to how most people run.