Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cheating?

So I've been on this kick to cut certain things out of my diet. No sugar, chocolate, simple carbs, etc. You know, all the things I've always convinced myself that I could never live without.

It's been nearly a full three weeks now and I'm doing fine. I'm alive. In fact, I'm now trying to ponder what kind of cake I can eat for my birthday in a couple of weeks. I may not be able to enjoy a traditional cake after going about six weeks without baked goodies. So I've still got to figure this one out.

But I can't help but wonder if I'm cheating on the chocolate end. I haven't eaten anything I'd traditionally consider "chocolate". No candy, cookies, brownies, or anything like that. However, I needed an afternoon snack and bought some Kashi TLC fruit and grain bars. It didn't even register with me that they had chocolate on them. I was more concerned with the fact that they had no high fructose corn syrup, higher fiber and protein, and low fat. It's dark chocolate and it does taste really good. Also, I drink a chocolate protein shake after exercising. It's also higher in fiber and protein, no bad sugar, and lower in fat.

Am I cheating? I can't help but think of it like chewing gum on Fast Sunday. Am I chewing gum for the taste or am I chewing it to keep from burning the faces off of the people around me? That may be a controversial subject, not the point I'm trying to make. But I think that if I'm consuming these things for the health benefits and not the chocolate benefits, it still counts.

I think.

5 comments:

colds1 said...

Okay, I'll hop on my soapbox ...

The real question is, why did you go off chocolate? Was it to say, I don't eat chocolate." If so, you are cheating.

If the point is to eat more healthy, then you are fine. Moderation in all things. Even Bob and Jillian spout that it is okay to have a small indulgence now and then. Grate some zucchini into your chocolate cake, use applesauce or pureed beans instead of butter or oil, egg whites only please, and enjoy yourself a birthday cake-o-rama. You only turn your age once in your life.

Now stepping down from my soapbox...

Shelly said...

Good point. The whole purpose is to sort of detox and keep everything in moderation. So, by that thought and your theory, Cindy, I'm not a cheater. I like that.

Merinda Reeder said...

I was trying to verbalize to myself what Cindy said. Thanks Cindy.
That's a smart one, there.

Carina said...

I totally agree with Cindy. And I understand the detox thing. I did that and it was wonderful to get all of the cravings out of my system. If this doesn't make you want the other things, then you should love having it.

And it is true about not going overboard on depriving yourself or you will eventually go nuts and fail.

You also have to decide if YOU WANT A BIRTHDAY CAKE or if it is just for the sake of tradition. If you want to use this one time to splurge on something else, forget about the cake and have what you want to have. Just not too much of it. You are doing great!

Unknown said...

They say, that a piece of cake on a holiday or special occasion is better than, say, cookies. With cake, 1 piece is good enough to satisfy you, but with cookies a person may tend to go over board because they seem smaller than the cake and so more calories go into your system. And of course, more calories means more running.

I think what you've done shows true strength! I know I could do it if I really wanted to, I just don't want to right now. :)

Good for you Shelly!