Monday, August 16, 2010

First Day of My 1/2 Marathon Training

Today was my first day of the Couch to 5k program. I think this is going to go well. I've been home from my walk/run for about an hour and a half and I think my face is finally back to its original color and not flushed anymore.

The idea of this program is to slowly get your body used to running with a walk/jog combo. This week I run three days using a combination of jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds.

Today's song that I sang over and over again (because I needs me an mp3 player or ipod) was "You Look Good in My Shirt" by Keith Urban. Mostly because I hoped my t-shirt was long enough to keep my booty covered. I'm sure I got people thinking of Jell-o as they drove past me. A bit too much junk in my trunk!!


Veronica and I are trying this new fad called, uh, jogging. I think it's jogging, or yogging. It might be a soft 'j'. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended amount of time. It's supposed to be wild.

--Ron Burgundy, Anchorman


Josh talked to a coworker who is a seasoned marathon runner. She suggested to stick with a program to slowly work my way to running 3 miles (about 5k) and then start running for time, an hour at a time or so, until I can run for 3 hours. I only have a few months to train for this, but I want to do it.

My goal race is called London's Run. It's local and affordable. Some of these races are kind of pricey, but this one is do-able. Plus, all the proceeds go to local children's charities. You can't beat that!! And to add to the fun my sister, my brother-in-law, and my cousins plan to join me. Awesome!

In addition to my new exercise regime, I've begun trying to watch my food intake more. Last week I gave up refined sugar. Hardest thing I've ever done!! I'm a self-proclaimed choco-holic and giving up chocolate is rough! This week I want to focus on keeping my food journal. That should help with several aspects of my diet.

Please feel free to comment, but also join in. What is your fitness goal? We'll begin Bloggest Loser, Season 2 on September 5th. The person with the great percentage weight lost wins.

Get ready!!!

8 comments:

Jeri Dawn said...

Sweet! You are awesome Shelly! My biggest goal at this time is to get up to 5 miles, three times a week, barefoot. Right now I am at 3-4 miles 2-3 times a week.

I've done what you are doing and here is my advice. Don't go too fast. If you're body is not used to running, you will injure yourself and let's face it--we're not in high school anymore. Many of the programs want you to run 5 or 6 times a week and I found that it was just too much for my body. I cut it down to 3 and followed the program at a slower pace. And also, DON'T GIVE UP! I happen to think running really sucks until you get up in the 5 or 6 mile range and then it's like your body adjusts and you can run for an hour or two and it's no big deal and then it's fun. But getting there can be the pits. Oh, and go your own pace. Too fast will kill you all together.

Okay, now you have ALL of my knowledge. Ha ha. Have fun and good luck.

Jeri Dawn said...

Oh, I forgot to ask you when the half you are training for is? Is there a full too? My hubby is always looking for another marathon to fill in his gaps between...

Shelly said...

This set up only has a half-marathon, a 10k, and 2-mile Fun Run. But it's January 29, 2011. Right down the road from our house, too!

Mrs. Bennett said...

I totally want to join you in training for a half! I can't believe just this last june I ran so many miles in a relay race. Since then, I was so pooped i stopped running completely and gained like 10 lbs (i'm not sure the exact pounds gained since i never ever weigh myself - AHH!). my clothes stopped fitting!
but I can tell you that I only started training for that race in February. I started running a mile, and 2 weeks before the race I ran 10 miles. 10! I'd never ran anything close to that in my life. Now i'm back down to 2 1/2. My goal is to run everyday. Get up to 3 by next week, then 5. Then a half marathon baby!

colds1 said...

One of my current goals is to run a 5k on September 6. So my goal should be completed before Season 2 even gets under way! Good thing I have lots of goals.

I'm happily using the C25k program and I'm currently in week 4. Happy trails!

(oh, and I think the rest of you that find running enjoyable and something you want to do for hours at a time ... well, you are all nuts!)

Carina said...

Way to go girls! Can I join the club if I jogged some of the trail back from my hike? I was hoping to give this Couch to 5K a try, but I have blisters on my feet, so it will have to wait. But my new beautiful gleaming white running shoes are pretty to look at anyway. I guess I will have to do some physical exercise without as much strain on my feet. What? The pool, you say. OK, you don't have to twist my arm already.

Merinda Reeder said...

OK I'm in. I'm not going to run any races. I'm going to finish this comment and get my butt out the door on a walk. After drinking a jug of water.
I'm impressed with the goals, the determination, the collective umph, and the support of all y'all.
I've got a different goal.
I'm pregnant. My last two pregnancies were 60-pound gains. Didn't matter what I ate, how much I ate, or whether I exercised.
My goal is to safely and carefully gain no more than 60 pounds.
So I'm going to hang out, fill up your comments with irrelevance, and perhaps cheer all you runners on.
Wow you all are amazing.

MaggieJo said...

Last November I decided to start running. Training for a marathon. After 4 or 5 months of running 3 or 4 times a day I finally and comfortably got to 30min and/or 3 miles. That was really tough to get into a different mindset, running often and for longer periods of time.

Once I got there, things picked up fairly quickly. I gave up on the marathon, didn't feel like I was ready. So on Saturday I'm running my first 1/2 marathon and I'm so excited!!!! I haven't lost near the weight that I thought I would, but I feel good about myself and don't care so much anymore.

Good luck! Keep at it! Know that it is going to be really hard getting to 3 miles. And celebrate every milestone! 10 min running without walking. 1.5 miles, 2 miles, etc.