Thursday, August 19, 2010

Don Your Helmet

Tonight I went to a presentation about body image by Rachel Stewart and April Price -- More Precious Than Rubies, Truth About Body Image in a World Full of Lies.


I hope this doesn't come across as preachy. I heard a lot of info that I just had to share.



Images of women in the media (movies, TV, magazines, etc) are deceptive. A lot goes into creating the ideal woman.



I had no idea that $60,000 can be spent airbrushing the front cover of a magazine. Many actresses and models have their own airbrush artists.







In 2007, the money spent on ads for products designed to "fix" you equaled $500 billion.



$55 billion a year is spent on diet product ads.



A lot was said tonight about the way children respond to their parents' obsessions with their appearance. Kids pick up on what they should and shouldn't believe from their parents. Makes sense. My kids love to please me. Of course they're going to do what I do.



I also learned that in 2004, more than 300,000 teens (18 and younger) had plastic surgery.



The thing is this: Satan gave up his chance to have a body. Now, he'll do anything in his power to make sure that we mess ours up. Elder David A Bednar said that the tool Satan cannot have or use is his major target: our bodies.



So what do we do?



We fight. The purpose of this blog is to create an atmosphere to share health-related goals. Elder Jeffery R. Holland said that we need to eat right, exercise and find our optimum health. He said, "There is no universal optimum size."



We need to gather our armor and fight this war that is banging on our door. We need to gather our breastplates, no matter what sizes they are. We need to sharpen our swords and shine our shields.



And more importantly, we need to don our helmets. Because this is a mind game, more than anything else.



Here's our strategy of attack:



1. Remember your divine worth and the reason you came to Earth. We came to this Earth to gain a body and be tested. We use our body to take that test. We have to remember that our body is not the test.



2. Forget yourself and serve others. You can't focus on yourself if you're helping others.



3. Fight "Fatism." We can't judge people by their shapes and sizes. It just promotes unhealthy images.



4. Remember bodies have power. "All beings with bodies have power over those that do not" -- Joseph Smith. We have the ability to overcome Satan and his temptations.



5. Question media messages. So many of the messages we see are an illusion.



6. Affirm your body is perfect the way it is. This was the greatest point made, I thought. 70 - 80% of your body is determined by genetics. You didn't come to Earth to get a body, you came to get this body. Your body is the one Heavenly Father wanted you to have, flaws and all. "Therefore, my body is perfect. Heavenly Father does not make mistakes."



I had to stop and think about why I'm making the goals I am. It comes down to this: I want to be healthy. Of course, I also want to be comfortable with how I look. And I know Heavenly Father wants that for me too. He wants me to be happy, but He has also entrusted me with my body. It's my responsibility to care for it. I need to nourish it, exercise it and keep it medically sound.



I need to don my helmet and keep myself in check. I have power and control over my body, whether I recognize that or not. It's up to me to know what I need and not let mainstream media tell me what I need.

I don't need to be stick thin. I don't need to have perfect hair or skin. I've been deceived by the media before. Here's me at age 19:





My eyes have been airbrushed to be more open, my loose strands of hair have been erased, as well as the red birthmark under my right nostril. My lips were added to. I had gone to an acting agency and this was my final headshot. I soon realized that the agency didn't want to promote me. They wanted to promote what I could be after being computerized and altered.

I'm not falling for that again. I'm going to get healthy, but I'm not going to lose myself in this war.

4 comments:

colds1 said...

That sounds like it was a great (and timely) meeting!

I always liked those photos of you from that photo shoot (especially your hair) but they always looked wrong. They weren't YOU. My weight and health is my responsibility to take care of, but, like you said, our bodies are essentially the way they are supposed to be. Your birthmark is part of who you are, part of what makes you Shelly. For me, my chubby cheeks will never go away, no matter how thin I try to be. I hate them when I see myself in photographs, but I love them when I see them in my children. It is all a mindset ... so true!

I'm going to not only don my helmet, but strap it on tight! Thanks for adding even more to my bucket this week!

Carina said...

Oh WOW Shelly! Thank you for sharing what you learned. I will be looking into those quotes some more. We do have to remember that Heavenly Father gave us this body and wants us to take care of it.

A main focus of my journey is being healthier. My parents have Diabetes. Two of my husbands brothers have Diabetes now and one had a stroke from the plaque breaking off in his carotid artery. But the biggest motivator is I have Fibromyalgia. My quality of life was not anywhere close to what I wanted it to be. I hurt everyday, I didn't want to DO anything. During pregnancy it was really bad, so imagine with 5 kids in 10 yrs that I was feeling pretty terrible at times.

Eating healthier & being active are changing all of that. And I am not just doing it for myself. I am influencing my husbands & children's futures by making these choices today. I hope I am not giving them the impression that How I look is the most important part. It is nice to look better and to feel happier when I see myself, but that is not the most important part.

Now that I feel better I can serve more than I could before and I am happier so I have more to give. And that gets me closer to who he knows I can be.

Merinda Reeder said...

YAY!! THANKS!
My mom has been cheating on diets forever, and bless her, she seems to want me to get back to the size 10 I was when I got married. I wasn't even a size 10 in high school or college; just for a year when I had money for a professional wardrobe and time for an hour at the gym every day.
I usually am moody after one of those conversations with mom.
I am the biggest of my sisters, and that's sometimes hard. Not just tallest; biggest by sizes.
I need this message more frequently than I hear or see it. Thanks for posting.
I'm with Carina and Shelly: I just want to be healthy and have a lifestyle that allows for service, activity, and all the good things that life can include.

Jeri Dawn said...

Yay Shelly! I think I will start telling my children right now how fake the pictures are that they see. One thing my Mom did was tell me every day how beautiful I was. I believed her! And now I rejoice in the fact that she built me up instead of tearing me down. I plan to do the same for my children. Love the message. Love the idea: get healthy, have fun.

I missed my last run this week...We were in Bear Lake. I am hoping it won't affect me too much. If I go too long between, it's like my knees and hips forget and I have to retrain them again. Tonight baby!