Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Ah-Ha Moment

I'm trying to get myself in order. I think I've reached that Ah-Ha Moment. My body is stuck in a rut. And although my husband (who is the greatest man in the world) loves me no matter what, I want to love that way I look. I'm sick of rockin' Mom Jeans.



In case you missed it, here is the worst line, "Get the jeans that says, 'I'm not a woman anymore. I'm a mom.'"

It's sooo wrong!

What??? Moms can still be women? They can feel beautiful, and happy, and maybe even (dare I say it?) sexy??

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say: Sure. Why the heck not?

Last week I established the routine of walking the kids to their bus stop and then taking Millie for a stroll through the neighborhood. It's helped me get into a good mindset that I'm going to use that time from 8 - 9 am to exercise. This week I'm alternating between my c25k program and my Biggest Loser workout. Today was the workout. It went fine, but I was kind of halfhearted. I let Millie distract me a bit. It wasn't that I didn't want to do it, because I actually did. I think I'm off my game a bit because I only have my 8 lb weights (I left my 5lb ones at my parents' house in MT) and my muscles are a little scared of those heavier weights.

I'm also trying to stick with my No Sweets Policy. Last week, with just my walking and my no sweets I lost 3 lbs. That's right! So, I'm very nervous to let myself have any sweets. Because I'm afraid I'll go overboard. I don't know how many years it's been since I didn't go more than two days without some form of sugar. Probably why it's been so hard to lose weight!!

You may be thinking, "Shelly, you're so adorably ridiculous!! 8 lbs isn't much to lift! And no one in their right mind would be that addicted to sugar."

My reply to you is this: Yes, I am adorable. Thank you.

Also, I'm discovering that I've lost control over my body and habits. I let it go and didn't worry about it. Now I'm taking it back. It's really hard and I don't always want to do it, but it's necessary. I can't stay in the weight bracket I'm in. It's not healthy. And it's not going to be easy to not gain the old weight back if I don't change. I'm already 30+ lbs less than I was two years ago. I'm not going back to that weight again!! Not unless I'm pregnant. And then I'd like it to be baby weight, not:




Been there, done that!

Never again, thank you!

5 comments:

Jeri Dawn said...

The balance is soo hard to find. Why do we feel guilty for taking time to exercise? I thought of another weight-loss tip that I'm sure you've heard, but just in case you haven't, and since you are embarking upon running... For better weight loss go running and then take the time to lift some weights. Pick a muscle and burn it out. I usually do arms because I think my arms should be working out as well as my legs. Making your body replenish those muscles after a cardio will help kick up the fat loss a notch. We are going to Hawaii at the end of September so I really need to get my butt in gear!

Mrs. Bennett said...

Good idea Jeri Dawn. The problem also is finding the right time of day - because of the heat! I'm sure its SO BAD in AZ. Unless you are running inside on a treadmill. I have to run early or in the evening and both times are so hard for me. There is always an excuse though.

colds1 said...

I'm all about the self-control. I think therein lies the key. That's why people can go on shows, like BL, and drop all the weight and then gain it back. They had a goal to lose weight or win the money, but not to gain control. That's one on my list of goals ... control of self. Master that and well ... just keep working on mastering that! :)

Carina said...

Oh I loved those clips! SO FUNNY!

Shelly, Mrs. Adorable, 8 lbs ARE a lot to lift repeatedly. I have heard to sculpt you want to use lighter weights. Could you use two cans of soup instead? I used to flip on some music, grab a can out of the pantry and do some arm exercises. I need to get back to that.

And heck yeah, you better say we can be sexy. I want to still feel that way. Luckily there are a lot of "non Mom jeans" clothing that make you look more appealing despite what is underneath, but I want to feel beautiful underneath too.

My 2 yr old said one of those nice phrases that build you up. "Mom, you have a Big Butt!" Oh yeah! That is encouraging. But honestly if I weighed 110, my butt would be bigger than his, so hence still a big butt. I won't tell you what will happen to him if he ever says that to me or anyone else again.

Last night I exercised and felt the jello seriously jiggle. I thought "Oh man, that must be Sexy!"

Keep up the good work and you will undoubtedly knock his socks off.

Lucky Larson's said...

I have wanted to start a Hot Moms club forever!! wanna join?