Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Call for Recipes

Our ward realigned last week.  (The stake president made it clear that we did not "split" or any other negative connotation.)  We now are a brand new ward.  I'm actually glad for this.  First of all, all of the presidencies were called this week and I didn't get a phone call (phew).  Second of all, as the Nursery leader in the old ward I was dealing with the possibility of enduring the last three months of the year with 65 18-month to 3-year-olds and only 3 classrooms to hold them in.  This ward realignment should have fixed that problem.

But, we now have a new challenge.  With four wards meeting at the stake center, we now get the 2:00 pm meeting time, meaning we end church at 5:00 pm.  That has it's advantages (Millie will get a nap before church) but it has its definite disadvantages.  If Josh works on Sunday, he leaves the house by 6:00 pm, not leaving me much cooking time for dinner.

I have a large, wonderful crockpot and it gets a workout on most Sundays, but I don't know what to cook other than roast.  As much as I love a day-long-simmered pot roast, four times a month gets a little old.

So, please help me. 

What are your favorite crockpot recipes?  I'm in need of full meal ideas, because I won't have the luxury of spending a bunch of time making side dishes. 

Please post your favorite recipes, post a link, blog it and leave a comment, ANYTHING!  I need your creative minds!!!!

1 comment:

colds1 said...

I already share what my family eats, but I can give a few more thoughts.

I'm not a roast girl. A month full of roast on Sundays would put me over the edge.

My favorite crock-pot Sunday dinner is chicken (boneless somethings) with cut up potatoes and carrots drenched in BBQ sauce. Love it. Sometimes I ditch the veggies, sometimes I throw in something else, sometimes it is just potatoes. It is my favorite. We serve it with French bread or rolls, green salad, peas, often jello or some other fruity salad.

Another favorite is ham with potatoes and drenched in a can or two of cream of something soup and a little milk. At least 15 minutes before serving we sometimes stir in a block of cream cheese. This is again accompanied by green salad, peas or green beans, and a fruity side.

Summertime is harder for me because I like lighter meals ... we'll grill hot dogs or some other meat on many Sunday nights. If I have a pasta salad ready beforehand, it is another meal that really does make up quickly after church.

A regular ham heats up nicely in the crock-pot too. Couple that with a potato salad or macaroni salad and fruit and veggies and it is a nice summer meal.

Baked potatoes are good crock-potted as well. Warm up a can of chili and pull some toppings from the fridge and you have a baked potato bar.

Five. That's my limit. Later.