Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Slow 5k

I ran my fifth 5k race yesterday.  My first was a year ago.  Yesterday.

I'm slow.  I don't have a prayer of winning overall or even coming close in my age group in these races.  Some of them have made me want to barf.  Some have made me cry.  But I've never come in dead last.  I really don't train.  I've been walking 5 mornings a week consistently but I haven't done any jogging in over a month.

But I do 5ks.

It is funny to tell people about my races.  Okay, it is embarrassing to tell real runners about them because most of them could finish twice before I get to the finish line.  But telling people who don't do 5ks or any races, that I do is fun.  They assume all sorts of stuff about me from that one sentence, "I did the 5k this morning."

Most of their assumptions are wrong.  Totally and completely wrong.  Even when I try to explain that an old lady with a walker could beat me in these races, their assumptions won't allow them to believe that.

So why do I run?  Why do I keep it up even though I am so incredibly slow?

I prefer walking.  I love a nice brisk walk.  I can swing my elbows and my hips with the best power walkers.  I LIKE that.  Running?  Not so much.  So why do I do it?

Pride.  I'll admit it.  Most of these 5ks I've done have had an accompanying 2 mile walk.  I used to do those 10 or 15 years ago.  I liked them.  I was good at them.  I often finished in the top 3 or at least the top 5.  But when you tell someone that you just did a 2 mile walking race, do you know what they do?  They say, "Oh" and never give it a second thought.

I'm awful in a way.  But this pride is a good thing.  My husband likes being able to say that he does 5ks with me (it is WAY more manly to say that than to say he walked a 2 mile race).  So we do it together.  We wear our race shirts and humbly accept our slow pace.

I am doing a sixth race in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure I will finish behind the pack as usual.   I'm also sure that my husband and I will have a good time, will support a good cause, and get another conversational tee shirt to wear ... proudly.

-Cindy

3 comments:

Carina said...

Yay! I want to do a 5K with you. Maybe then I wouldn't have overtrained for the 10K dirty dash I have in less than 2 weeks. And I wouldn't have injured my knee. I was so worried about letting down my team mates. Now, I learn they will walk it with me, just so we can do it together. It is nice to be comfortable with what you can do and do it.

I am glad that you admit that it is pride that gets you to do the 5Ks. Maybe that is how I got pulled into this race. I know my friends and I are going to have a ton of fun, but something that keeps me running is to be able to say I did it. I find I run a little better past a few houses in the neighborhood too. Heaven forbid they see me a block later breathing heavy, dripping sweat and ready to collapse.

But if that is what it takes to encourage us to be healthier & teach our kids healthy habits, then hurray for pride. It too can be a great motivator.

Carina said...

Wait! I just saw that you were in Hooper for this 5K. Dangit, I wish i would have known. I would have loved to do it with you guys. Of course, my knee would have cried, but tell me if you are here to do another one. We could all have fun walking it or skipping it together. Whatever we want to do.

Unknown said...

Hey, a 5k is a 5k no matter how you cut it. I'd be croaking as it's bad enough for me to do a 3 mile walk, let alone add a little competion to it :) I do a walk/jog/run/crawl 3 times a week (weather permitting) along the ocean ... but I'm slow. I don't time it and I know that IF I push myself, I'll be hanging over the wall on the beach gagging ... I just don't have the stamina to run :) Some day i will but not yet. Keep at it!