Monday, September 12, 2011

Meal Plan Monday!!!

What did pushing my meal plan reset button do for me?  I don't know that it did much.  Ha!  But we'll give this a go ...


I'm trying to convert to a more whole foods diet with my family.   The ultimate goal = eliminate processed foods from our diet.  I think there are a lot of bad things in that processed stuff and I would like to avoid it.  I also have this idea that if I can get us eating whole foods, my weight will naturally drop and stabilize at its ideal.

You'll notice I call it my "ultimate goal."  This is because processed foods are SO ingrained in my system and, I'm almost embarrassed to admit, I really LIKE some of them!

I'm baby-stepping my way into this.  I may make notes about whole foods or processed foods on my menus now.  Ignore them if you like.

Baby step ... make the menu ... baby step ...

MONDAY:  Autumn Stew and homemade bread (store-bought tomato soup in my stew)

TUESDAY:  Baked Ziti (store-bought noodles and spaghetti sauce)

WEDNESDAY:  Summer Harvest Soup (homemade vegetable stock, store-bought pasta and sauce)

THURSDAY:  Waffles and ice cream (store-bought mix and ice cream)

FRIDAY:  Fast Food Friday (grandma babysitting)

SATURDAY:  Pizza Muffins

SUNDAY:  Grilled cheese sandwiches (homemade bread)

Okay.  I gotta start making my own spaghetti sauce ... but I really like Ragu (and I can buy it so CHEAP).  Sigh.  Baby steps, baby steps.

Linking up for fun ... OrgJunkie

-Cindy

6 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Baby steps is right. Start with the spaghetti sauce. Get a few cans of tomato sauce and paste when it's on sale, cook some veggies and stick them in there, add a smidge of sugar (I know, it's processed but whatever), salt and pepper and you're good to go. And it freezes really well.

I think you're right about the weight loss though. It will naturally happen if you're eating fewer processed foods. Your body has to work harder to digest them, thus burning more calories (and keeping you fuller longer!).

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Merinda Reeder said...

Healthy waffles:
2 1/4 cup flour (1/2 cup whole wheat four 1 3/4 cup enriched white flour)
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 T sugar (can reduce to 1 T if desired)
2 T ground flax seed
1 tsp cinnamon

sift the above ingredients

2 eggs (well beaten)
2 1/4 cup milk (powdered milk works great, can also use 2 cups milk 1/4 cup water)
1/3 cup oilve oil (you can use veg oil or salad oil)
Optionally, you can add a banana.

mix last 3 ingredients together

add the wet ingred at once to the dry ingredients, beating only until moistened.
Bake in preheated waffle iron

Unknown said...

{giggle} that made me laugh :) the whole post but the cartoon was the BEST :) Baby steps is the only way to go when it comes to making the change. I'm working on it myself by startng to make more things from scratch and not eating out as much .... yeah, easier said then done, that's for sure! Ice cream and waffles makes me want to come over for dinner :)

colds1 said...

Amy ~ Thanks for the encouragement! I'm about to come into a whole bunch of ripe tomatoes and I'm going to brave the homemade sauce (...but I REALLY like Ragu ... sigh)

Mindy ~ Excellent! I keep meaning to make mine from scratch, but "somebody" bought the huge bag of Krusteaz mix at Sam's Club. Don't know WHAT she was thinking!

Frugal ~ Anytime I can make someone laugh, my day is complete! Our breakfast dinners are my favorite night of the week!

Caffeinated Mom said...

Good for you on cutting out processed foods! I think that might be my new goal too!

Ps. New follower from Menu Plan Monday!

Jeri Dawn said...

Hmmmm....you should try cutting out sugar. I thought going gluten-free was going to throw me for a loop, but sugar free is a real eye-opener. I guess my biggest issue is that it's nearly impossible! People who say they are sugar-free are simply using a sugar substitute, however "natural." When you have a kid that simply doesn't have the enzymes to process sugar, then you start getting a little creative. Unfortunately, my creativity doesn't always pan out. I kind of miss the days of making food...and having it turn out good. Ha ha.