Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Reflect on Success

It's time to reflect on success.

This is hard to do sometimes.  But it is necessary to remember that we are working hard and doing good things.

We have less than 3 weeks until school starts.  It's gone by way too fast!  One of my summer goals was to lose 5 lbs a month.  That was a bit ambitious.  A more realistic goal would have been to maintain my weight.  Especially since I gained 10 lbs last summer. 

That's one goal I won't accomplish.  So let's look at a more positive side.

We were out at the mall the other day and stopped at Old Navy because I wanted a few new shirts and had heard a radio ad about clearance prices.  I bought 4 shirts for about $20 (yay, me!).  I got home, put one on, looked in the mirror and was happy, and even a little impressed, with what I saw.

Of course, the camera tried to tell me differently.

Luckily, I married the greatest man ever and he helped me look at the reality of what I have truly accomplished.  I have only lost a few pounds this summer, but in the grand scheme, I'm doing pretty good.

Me in 2006 at my biggest weight:





Me in 2009 after I had reached my pre-pregnancy weight which was about 25 or 30 lbs less than I was in 2006:


Me today, another 20 lbs lighter:


So where I was originally upset that my picture didn't look as good as the mirror did, Josh helped me realize that I've come a long way. 

This is my reflection on success.  I didn't accomplish my original summer goal, but I'm accomplishing my overall goal.  A few pounds at a time.

Now it's your turn.  Reflect on your success.

4 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

You look fabulous!

Merinda Reeder said...

If that's the unflattering camera, then wahoo. I think it looks pretty good, and you say you look even better, well that's a win.
Success... I should have made myself a "did" list. If nothing comes to mind, then I'm not in a healthy place, because I know I've done some good.
Hmmm.

colds1 said...

First off, you look great! The difference in your face alone is fabulous!

Second, my reflection ... I wore a pair of shorts Saturday that I bought in 2009. That summer they were still too tight and not really comfortable, but I needed shorts and I made do. Summer 2010 I wasn't even close to getting into that pair of short (a May baby will do that to you). Summer 2011 ... they were falling off of me all day long. I plan to stick them in the donation bag once they get washed. I love under-growing my clothes!!!

Carina said...

Holy cow! Are you kidding me? You look Fantastic! I think you look like you are modeling for a Weight Watchers ad. I think I am going to try that pose in my next picture. Way to go Shelly! And excellent choice for your shirt. It is long and flatters your figure. :) I only shop that way now.

I know what you mean about not recognizing the successes. I can easily notice my legs are still too big or my arms still wave after the hand stopped. I also notice my long standing plateau, but there are good things I forget to notice. I had a picture taken at Cub Scouts when my son earned his Bear 2 weeks ago and I was stunned when I saw my face in the picture. I couldn't even believe the difference. I also donated some clothes I bought last summer bcuz they are now really too big. I wore them most of them summer anyway and wore my two pairs that fit well to special outings. Then I realized I wasn't helping my self image by wearing clothes hanging off my bum. Yay for our successes!